Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Camping

Most times when people mention camping, the others in the conversation either express love for it or hatred.

I know people who love it, to the point the "rough" it all the way through. No electricity, everything cooked on the fire, way back to the good old days of living away from the rat race and away from the big city.

I'm not one of those people, and growing up in a small town away from a big city (I grew up a world away from Toronto) I never went camping, the most I ever did in a tent was pitch it in the backyard and have friends over. I remember bugs, large ones, and cold, damp nights. I never enjoyed it.

That was then, this is now. Two summers ago, we were invited to a camp that included many of our friends (more now since going) We rented a pop up camper and went up. We had a great time. I need to note, we had electricity, running water and showers/ toilets right at the camp site. This was a big party with lots of people to hang out with for 3 days.

Last year, I went looking for a rental again, and found a steal of a deal. Our own camper for $300. I bought it. My husband has been fixing it up. We went from camping once the first year, to twice last year and this summer I have a weekend planned in the camper every summer month. We might even head out in September.

Why am I talking about camping? Well in a short few days, I'm going to be camping, in my camper, but the hard core way. No electricity. Gasp. Wish me luck, I'm a tech junkie and always with my phone/ computer. What about food, and cooking? No running water scares me. I'm thinking outhouses and stink.

I'll update on my experience, but doubt it will convert me. Why am I doing it? My daughter is in Scouts. This is a family outing.
Oh what we do for our kids!

No comments: